Have you noticed more and more dogs wearing backpacks lately? More than just a fashion statement, backpacks offer the perfect place to stow water for a long walk and give working breeds a sense of ...View Article
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Posted on 03-19-2015
This week is National Poison Prevention Week and we want to make sure you've got all the info you need to keep your pet safe. Keep reading our blog to get more information about some common household items that are toxic to our furry family members. And be sure to download the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center app to have life-saving information right at your fingertips 24/7 right on your phone!
In 2013, the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center responded to 180,000 calls about pets exposed to potentially poisonous substances. Of these calls, 15 percent were due to insecticide exposure, 10 percent to household products, 5.5 percent to rodenticides, and more than 2 percent to lawn and garden products. More than 90 percent of pet poisonings occur in our homes, so it’s important to become familiar with these common household items.
Acids will cause immediate pain on contact and can cause severe tissue damage. Pets are most commonly exposed by contact of the skin or accidental ingestion. Severe injury can be seen when the eyes, skin, gastrointestinal tract, and respiratory system are exposed. Examples of acids include batteries, battery fluid, toilet bowl cleaner, vinegar, hair wave neutralizers, and drain cleaners.
Unlike acids, alkalis do not have a strong flavor. This makes them more dangerous because large amounts are more likely to be ingested. Tissue damage from alkalis can range from mild tissue irritation to severe corrosive injury, depending on the concentration of the product. Please click here to continue reading this article from The American Animal Hospital Association...
One last note...If you think your pet has been poisoned, it’s important to contact us or call a pet poison help-line immediately. The ASPCA Poison Control Center (888-426-4435) and the Pet Poison Helpline (800-213-6680) are available 24/7, year round (consultation fees may apply). Save these potentially life-saving phone numbers in your contacts so you’re ready in case of an emergency!
There are no comments for this post. Please use the form below to post a comment.